Prof. Nader Al-Bastaki
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Scientific Research
- PhD in Polymer Engineering, June 1989, UMIST, Manchester, United Kingdom.
- MSc in Chemical Engineering, Dec. 1983, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- BSc in Chemical Engineering, Dec. 1981, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- Vice President for Academic Affairs & Scientific Research, 2016 - Present.
- Professor, Chemical Engineering Dept., University of Bahrain, 2005-2016.
- Dean, College of Engineering, University of Bahrain, 2008-2014.
- Director, Assessment and Accreditation Office for Colleges of Engineering and IT, University of Bahrain, 2006-2008.
- Chairman of the Chemical Engineering Department, University of Bahrain, 2002-2006
- Reviewer for International Journals.
- ABET PEV (Program Evaluator) since 2011 (conducted three review visits)
- Managed and supervised the preparations for ABET review visits for the engineering programs until the visit was successfully completed in 2008 and 2014.
- Managed and supervised the preparations for the NAAB accreditation visit for the architecture program until the review report (APR) was submitted and visit date was fixed for April 2015.
- UNDP Review Specialist. Reviewed and Evaluated the Mechanical Engineering program at Mohamed V University, Rabat, Morroco on March, 30- April 3, 2008 as part of a team of five members, including two from British Universities (also QAA evaluators), and a member from a German University.
- Prepared the Self Evaluation Document (SED) report for the chemical engineering program on December 2007 and acted as the Subject Representative during the review team visit on march 14-18 2008 as part of the UNDP project.
- Participated in the preparation of the institutional Self-Assessment Document Quality Review of the University of Bahrain submitted to the Quality Assurance Authority.
- Introduced a new advising scheme that ensures that all students in the College of Engineering meet their advisors and provides the advisors with the necessary information about the advisees online (in collaboration with the Registration Department and IT Center. This scheme was successfully implemented for a period of three years.
- Organized alumni gathering for the graduates of the College of Engineering in 2014, which attracted more than 300 alumni.
- Arranged for an agreement with Virginia Tec for an exchange program that led to seeding two of the architecture student from years 4 and 5 to study for a full year at VirginiaTech and then return to the University of Bahrain.
- Visited the Colleges of Engineering at Johns Hopkins, Duke and Siegen (Germany) Universities and established contacts for future collaborations with the University of Bahrain.
- Was a member of the GCC Universities Committee for the Colleges of Engineering, IT and Architecture.
- Organized regular short courses and workshops for training participants from industrial and governmental sectors in the areas of waste water treatment, air and water pollution, process safety, laboratory safety, renewable energy.
Research & Publications
Industrial Projects and Research Grants
- Research, consultation and training to improve the existing Dual Media Filtration at Tubli Water Treatment Pollution Control Center, Project No. 46500, Ministry of Works, Sewerage and Drainage Directorate, Kingdom of Bahrain, Oct. 2002-Oct. 2003.
- Contractual project with GPIC on the Study of sewage treatment water usage for irrigation purposes”, June, 2000.
- Demulsification of Crude Oil/Water Emulsions, Bapco, Feb, 2000
- Research project no. 3/2003 financed by the Scientific Research Council, University of Bahrain on: Removal of color from colored waste water.
- Research project no. 1/1999 financed by the Scientific Research Council, University of Bahrain on: Enhancing the performance of reverse osmosis water desalination.
- Research project no. 1/1998 financed by the Scientific Research Council, University of Bahrain on: Industrial Wastewater treatment using TiO2 /UV technology.
Current h-index on Scopus is 12 and on Google Scholar is 14.
- B. Al-Hamad and N. Al-Bastaki, Degradation of Reactive Blue 19 using advanced oxidation methods: gliding-arc plasma discharge, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (2016) 24352-24358
- M.B. Shams, F. Mumtaz, A. Murali, W. Akbar, N. Al‐Bastaki, Application of Statistical Design to an Industrial‐Scale Dead‐End Ultrafiltration Process, Chemical Engineering & Technology 38 (2015) 1315-1326
- Benstaali B., Al-Bastaki N., Brisset J.L., Addou A., “Plasma-Chemical and Photo-Catalytic Degradation of Methyl Orange”, Int. J. Environment and Waste Management, 11(2013) 158-177.
- Shakir Haji, Baghdad Benstaali and Nader Al-Bastaki, “Degradation of Methyl Orange by UV/H2O2 Advanced Oxidation Process”, Chemical Engineering Journal 168 (2011) 134–139
- Qais Bu-Ali, Mohamed Al-Aseeri and Nader Al-Bastaki, ”An experimental study of performance parameters and ion concentration along a reverse osmosis membrane”, Chemical Engineering and Processing 46 (2007) 323-328.
- Hassan Al-Hammadi and Nader Al-Bastaki, “Experimental study of the dead-end ultrafiltration process using silicone dioxide suspensions” Desalination, 206 (2007) 513-523
- Mohamed Al-Aseeri, Qais Bu-Ali, Shaker Haji and Nader Al-Bastaki, ”Removal of Acid Red and sodium chloride mixtures from aqueous solutions using nanofiltration”, Desalination 206 (2007) 407-413
- Abbas Abderrahim and Al-Bastaki Nader, "Modeling of an RO water desalination unit using neural networks", Chemical Engineering Journal, 114 (2005) 139-143.
- Al-Bastaki N.M.,"Removal of Methyl Orange Dye and Na2SO4 from synthetic Waste Water Using Reverse Osmosis", Chemical Engineering and Processing, 43 (2004) 1561-1567.
- Al-Bastaki N., "Performance of advanced methods for treatment of waste water: UV/TiO2, RO and UF", Chemical Engineering and Processing, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 43 (2004) 935-940.
- Al-Bastaki N.,"Treatment of synthetic industrial wastewater with UV/TiO2 and RO using benzene as a model hydrocarbon", Desalination 156 (2003) 193-197.
- N. Al-Bastaki and A. Abbas,"Permeate recycle to improve the performance of a spiral-wound RO plant", Desaliantion, 158 (2003) 119-126
- Banat F. and Al-Bastaki N.," Treating dyeing waste water by an integrated process of adsorption by activated carbon and ultrafiltration" Desaliantion, 170 (2004) 69-75.
- Al-Bastaki N. and Abbas A., "Long-term performance of an industrial water desalination plant", Chemical Engineering and Processing, 43 (2004) 555-558
- Abbas A. and Al-Bastaki N., "On the use of software tools for chemical engineering education: students evaluations", Chemical Engineering Education, 36 (2002) 236-241.
- Al-Bastaki Nader and Abderrahim Abbas,"Use of Fluid Instabilities to enhance Membrane Performance: a Review", Desalination, 136 (2001) 255-262
- Al-Bastaki N. and Banat F.," Combining ultrafiltration and adsorption on bentonite in a one step process for the treatment of colored waters", Resources Conservation and Recycling J., 41 (2004) 103-113.
- Abderrahim Abbas and Al-Bastaki Nader,"Performance Decline in Brackish Water Film-Tech Spiral Wound RO Membranes", Desalination, 136 (2001) 281-286
- Al-Bastaki Nader and Abbas Abderrahim,"Predicting the Performance of RO Membranes", Desalination, 132 (2000) pp. 181-187
- Abbas Abderrahim and Al-Bastaki Nader, "Flux Enhancement of RO Desalination processes", Desalination, Vol. 132, pp. 21-27, 2000
- Al-Bastaki N. M. and Abbas A.,"Modeling an Industrial Reverse Osmosis Unit", Desalination, Vol. 126, Issue 1-3, No. 8, pp. 33-39, 1999.
- Al-Bastaki N. M. and Abbas A.,"Improving the Permeation Flux by Unsteady Operation of a RO Desalination Unit", Desalination, Vol. 123, Issue 2-3, pp. 173-176, 1999.
- Al-Kawari M. and Al-Bastaki N.M.,"Copper dust formation in large scale MSF desalination plant", Desalination, 166 (2004) 153-156.
- Al-Bastaki N. M. and Abbas A.,"Periodic Operation of a Reverse Osmosis Water Desalination Unit", Separation Science and Technology, Vol.33, No.16, 1998,pp.2531-2540
- Al-Bastaki N. M., "Design of Fibre Reinforced Composite Structures Subjected to High Strain Rates using Finite Element Analysis", Applied Composite Materials, Vol. 5, 1998, pp. 223-236.
- Al-Salehi F. A. R., Al-Hassani S. T. S., Al-Bastaki N.M. and Hinton M. J.,"Derived Dynamic Ply Properties from Test Data on Angle Ply Laminates", Applied Composite Materials, Vol. 4, 1997, pp. 157-172
- Al-Bastaki N. M. and Al-Madani H. M. N.,"Effects of Local Atmospheric Conditions in Bahrain on the Mechanical Properties of GRP", Polymer Testing, Vol. 14, No. 3,1995, pp263-272.
- Al-Qahtani H. I. and Al-Bastaki N. M. S.,"Effect of Aging on the Performance of RO Hollow Fiber Membrane", Desalination, Vol. 101, 1994, pp. 177-183.
- Al-Bastaki N. M. S., "Behavior of Stepped GRP Shells Used in the Reverse Osmosis Permeators for the Water Desalination Process", Desalination, Vol. 94, 1994, pp. 307-319.
- Al-Bastaki N. M.,"Effect of High Strain Rate on the Properties of PVC Pipe", Journal of Testing and Evaluation (an ASTM publication), Vol. 22, Nov., 1994, Vol. 22, No. 6, November 1994, pp. 574-576
- Al-Bastaki N. M. and Al-Qahtani H. I.,"Assessment of Thermal Effects on the Reverse Osmosis of Salt/Water Solutions by Using a Spiral Wound Polyamide Membrane", Desalination, Vol. 99, 1994, pp. 159-168.
- Al-Salehi F. A. R., Al-Hassani S. T. S., Al-Bastaki N.M. and Hinton M. J.,"Extracting Dynamic Ply Properties from Test Data on Angle Ply Laminates-1. Theoretical Procedures", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 26, No. 16, 1992, pp 2454-2477.
33. Al-Bastaki, N.M.S.; Al-Madani, H.M.N., Effect of six months exposure to atmospheric conditions on the mechanical properties of GRP, Modelling, Measurement & Control C, Vol 49, n1-3, 1995, AMSE Press, pp 22-28.
34. Al-Salehi FAR, Al-Hassani STS, Al-Bastaki NM, Hinton MJ.,"Rate effects on aramid fibre/epoxy (KPR) tubes under hoop loading" J. Comp. Mater., 1990, Vol. 24, pp. 894-917.