“The vision of KU University Library is to be a dynamic information resource center for establishing a knowledge-based society.”
“The mission of KU University Library is to provide effective and efficient access and communication of information resources and services to support learning, teaching and research goals of the university.”
Welcome to Kingdom University Library!
The KU Library provides a welcoming environment that supports learning, teaching and research and delivers a variety of services to users on lending, reference, photocopying, information literacy, and library orientation.
The KU Library is staffed by enthusiastic, qualified and experienced professionals who supports the learning, teaching and research processes and activities of the University. Information literacy sessions are conducted frequently to make users be aware of library resources and services specifically how to effectively find and use information including the preparation of subject/user guides, flyers and brochures.
With best wishes.
Mr. Mohamed Azahim Saldeen
Kingdom University Library was established with the vision of supporting the university’s curricula by catering to the informational needs of the students and the faculty.
The KU Library is conveniently located at the third floor of the main KU building, consisting of a reading area, books display area, service counter and computer terminal area with a total seating capacity of 50. The Library collection covers a wide spectrum of subjects on Business Studies, Management, Economics, Law, Arabic, and English Language, Architecture Engineering and Interior Design to meet the current needs of the learning, teaching and research needs of the students and staff.
Library materials are made available to users, both print and online. There is a significant investment on e-databases such as Taylor and Francis, ProQuest-Art Design Architecture Collection, Westlaw Gulf, East Laws, ABI/Inform, Emerald Publishing, ProQuest e-book central, and Springer which provides full access to many research publications from a broad range of publishers. The features, services, and facilities offered by the University Library are as below: Reader Service, Lending service, Reserve, Renewal, Reference Services and Searching Assistance, Photocopying Service, Inter-Library Loan (ILL), E-Resources, Course Reserve Collection, Study Carrels, Library Services for users with special learning needs and disabilities.
KU library includes more than 9000 volumes of printed books on different topics (arts, media, journalism, public relations, business administration, accounting, finance, banking, trade, economics, computer science, architecture engineering, and law). The library receives 500-600 books annually.
Books were purchased based on the recommendations of the faculty members.
The university library includes a collection of permanent references (dictionaries, encyclopedias, government newspapers, and important books). There is also an independent bookshop at KU for selling textbooks.
The library has a number of refereed journals in architecture engineering, law, strategic studies, education, social sciences, mathematics, statistics, languages, literature, business, economics, management studies, history, etc. KU library also participates in six databases on the internet, in addition to a group of printed magazines.
The Automated System
It is the automatic operation of the main processes in the library through which users can directly access the library index through the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog).
Courses in Information Awareness
Courses on information awareness are held during the university introductory courses at the beginning of each semester, or at any other time if necessary. In addition, the student will receive
sufficient information about the skills of using the library, the library system and how to register in the library. These courses aim at enhancing the skill of searching for information on the library visitors. To cope with the services dedicated to the library visitors, a team from the library members and members from the different colleges in the university was established to provide all the required information.
Library Opening Hours
Sunday – Thursday 8 am – 8 pm Third Floor A3-T03 (Closed on Fridays, Saturdays and Public Holidays)
General Library Rules
- Mobile phone should be turned off or kept on silent
- Keeping the library clean by not littering and following the library rules and regulations is a must
- Library property has to be respected and maintained at all times
- Silence is a necessity inside the library, and reasonable effort should be made to keep the noise level at a minimum
- Students must show their ID cards when asked by the librarian
- Books that have been read or removed from their shelves can be left on the table
- Library Computers have to be used for academic purposes only
- It is not allowed to leave any notes, scribbles or markings on the books or deteriorate/damage the books
- Eating and drinking inside the library is not permitted
- Books can only be borrowed via the university card.
- It is not permitted to bring children inside the library as this might distract the researchers from doing their works
- If the discipline of the library is violated by the students, the librarian has the right to ask the students to leave the library.
An internal reader services has been provided by KU library to the entire university community. The library specialist handles the registration process of library users.
The users registered with the library are eligible to borrow information resources from the library as per their user category. The circulation counter does the borrowing process. In order to borrow the library resources, the user should register his/her information at the circulation counter.
Lending period and borrowing limits:
– Full time faculty members
|Category||Borrowing Limit (At a time)||Duration|
|Faculty Members (Permanent)||12||One Semester|
|Faculty Members (Visiting)||03||One Semester|
– Administrative Staff Members
|Category||Borrowing Limit (At a time)||Duration|
|Admin Staff Members||03||1 month|
– All internal registered students of KU
|Type of Degree||Borrowing Limit (At a time)||Duration|
– Borrowing Facilities and Accessibility of Resources for Non-KU Clienteles
The library staff at the circulation counter issues library cards on clients’ request with the payment of deposit fee for outside clients, and for Alumni. Borrowing is limited as follows:
|User Category||Borrowing Limit (At a time)||Duration|
|Other External clients||2||10 Days|
– Material reserve is a request by a client to borrow the material when it is checked in.
– Reservation can be done by either user or library staff at the circulation counter.
– Any library user may reserve three materials at any specific time.
– Extension of the loan period of the borrowed item is called renewal.
– The item can be renewed on the same policies as those of the original loan.
– In cases where the books have been requested by other students and faculty the librarian may refuse to renew the books.
– The period for the renewal is the same period of the original loan.
– The user can renew the library material by calling to the library specialist at circulation counter. Circulations counter no: 13302806 or the borrower’s presence is needed for the renewal.
Reference Services & Searching Assistance
– Library Specialist may be approached to get reference services for the users information needs. Readers are given opportunity to request materials for their reading purposes. The web OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) which allows library users to browse the catalogue is powered by Future Library Management System.
– The Reference Desk staff assists the users to fulfill their information requirements.
The photocopying service is operated inside and outside the library. The students are given concession rate for using this service. The cards for using the photocopier are available at the copy center and the library circulation counter.
Inter Library Loan (ILL)
The library has participated in ILL services with British Library. The users can make ILL request by filling ILL form which is available at the issuing counter. Apart from this, the library has planned to maintain ILL agreement with local libraries.
Information Literacy/Library Orientation
Library conducts information literacy series program at the beginning of each semester in the new academic year. Since the library has developed the information sources and the services, and since it has also subscribed to special databases, the need automatically arise to educate the library community.
The Library regularly conducts individual and group “information literacy programs” for the students and faculty members. Basic user education is given to the students at the library during their visits and upon request.
Objectives of the course:
– Introduce library services, information and resources facilities.
– To facilitate the patrons to find different information resources such as print and e-resources.
– To enhance the users’ information search skills.
– To inculcate the lifelong learning culture among the patrons.
– Literature Search.
KU library has subscribed to a number of online databases that consists of peer reviewed articles, summaries and abstracts, indexes on different disciplines in order to simplify literature search. These subscribed online databases are available for registered library users.
KU Information & Communication Technologies displays announcements and notices at the LCD digital screen that is fixed in various places in the university premises. The library uses this service to ensure that its message reaches the users.
New Arrivals Titles announcement
The Library has created WhatsApp group for academic staff in different colleges to offer current awareness services. This service alerts faculty members on new arrivals of library. The Library’s OPAC update the new title list routinely. The new titles are displayed at library’s “New Arrivals” shelf.
– KU library will be open to the public from 4.00 pm to 8.00 pm on Thursdays for reading and reference purpose.
– Please contact the Circulation Desk for further details.
Selective Dissemination Services (SDI)
This service assists faculty members and students to find out the latest information related to their interest. Users are requested to contact Reference Service Staff for further details on this service.
These journals are displayed in the periodical section classified according to the colleges. Current journals are kept in the open shelves. Back issues were placed separately. Library staff assists to find the location of previous issues.
Popular magazines such as local, regional and international Arabic and English magazines displayed in popular magazine section. Reference section staff assists the users to find out the back issues.
Daily newspapers in Arabic & English published locally are kept in the periodical section.
Back Issues of Newspapers
Back issues of two months (previous) are kept in the library.
Subscribed Databases & E-Resources
Registered KU library users only are eligible to access the subscribed e-resources.
KU library has subscribed to 07 databases for business administration, architecture and law colleges and has a selective 25 open access e-resources for specific subjects related to law, business and architecture. The links of these databases are available on the library website.
Selective e-journals are available for registered library users. Below a list of Arabic Journals:
- مجلة مجمع اللغة العربية الفلسطيني
- مجلة تبيان للدراسات القرآنية
- مجلة مجمع اللغة العربية الاردنية
- مجلة اتحاد الجامعات العربية للآداب
- مجلة الزرقاء للبحوث والدراسات
- المجلة الأردينة في العلوم التربوية
- مجلة الشريعة والدراسات الاسلامية
- مجلة الشريعة والقانون
- مجلة جيل الدراسات الأدبية والفكرية
- مجلة الدراسات اللغوية والأدبية
- مجلة التجديد
- مجلة كلية الشريعة والدراسات الاسلامية
- مجلة الجامعة الاسلامية للبحوث الانسانية
- مجلة الفكر الاسلامي المعاصر
- مجلة جامعة القدس المفتوحة للأبحاث والدراسات
- المجلة الأردنية للغة العربية وآدابها
- مجلة مجمع اللغة العربية
- مجلة الدراسات الاسلامية
- مجلة اللسان العربي
- المجلة العربية للعلوم الإنسانية
- مجلة حوليات الآداب والعلوم الاجتماعية
- journal of Islamic and Arabic education
- المجلة العلمية
- مجلة الاداب و العلوم الانسانية
- مجلة المجمع الفقهي الاسلامي
- مجلة العلوم الشرعية
- مجلة مؤتة للبحوث والدراسات
- مجلة جامعة الشارقة للعلوم الشرعية والانسانية
- مجلة جامعة الشارقة للعلوم الانسانية والاجتماعية
- المجلة الاردنية في العلوم الاجتماعية
- دراسات علوم الشريعة والقانون
- مجلة دراسات العلوم الانسانية والاجتماعية
- مجلة المنارة
- مجلة جامعة ام القرى للعلوم الاجتماعية
- مجلة ديالي للبحوث الانسانية
- مجلة رفوف
- مجلة معارف
More than 100,000 e-books titles on different disciplines are available. These can be accessed through databases. Please consult the Reference Section.
A limited number of government publications are available in the library. The library is keen to develop such collections as per the requirement of users’ need.
Closed Access Collection
This collection consists of resources that are used heavily such as:
Dissertations and theses, research works, a collection of pictures and official documents. OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) locates these resources. In order to browse easily, some materials are kept on open shelves. These items have a short loan period.
General Reference Collection
This section consists of:
Arabic & English dictionaries, common encyclopedias, government gazettes, yearbooks, bibliographies, indexes, and abstracts, etc. The materials in this section are not borrowable. Users are allowed to refer to the collection inside the library premises only.
– The information resources which are accessed only through PCs, network, or the Internet are defined as e-resources such as CD-ROMs, Electronic Journals, Web Resources, Subject Databases (online or in-house).
– CD-ROMs, Databases, Digital Information services through PCs at the library are accessed by library users. All subscribed databases can be accessed remotely by Username & Password obtained from the circulation desk.
Light Reading Collection
– KU library develops such collection in order to fulfill the students’ different reading interests.
–This collection includes different types of materials such as novels, motivational books, self-help books, etc.
Course Reserve Collection
KU library provides Course Reserves in order to support teaching and learning. Course Reserves covers textbooks for each course, lecture notes, sample exams, course handouts, etc. Course Reserve items have short loan periods of one day to three days. Since these materials are in heavy demand reserve loans cannot be renewed.
Study carrels are available for users who want to study and research in a silent manner. These carrels are equipped with one personal computer with internet connection, book shelf and one set of study table and each room may be occupied with one single user at a time. However, the library user has to register at Circulation Counter before using the room.
The library has computers with internet facility in order to access the required information. The internet facility is restricted for academic use only.
Web OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)
The users can use the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) to locate the information resources which are available in the library.
Wireless facility is available in the campus premises. Users are requested to enter the wireless password which is available at the circulation counter.
Library Services for Users with Disabilities
– Extended loan period
– Waived late fines
– Library cards for proxies
– Volunteer readers in the library
Library Facilities for Users with Disabilities
– Library Access –KU library is accessible to users with disabilities.
– Accessible entrance- A separate wheelchair accessible at the entrance is maintained.
College of Business Administration
The most comprehensive ABI/INFORM™ database, this comprises ABI/INFORM Global, ABI/INFORM Trade and Industry, and ABI/INFORM Dateline. The database features thousands of full-text journals, dissertations, working papers, key business and economics periodicals such as the Economist, country-and industry-focused reports, and downloadable data. Its international coverage gives researchers a complete picture of companies and business trends around the world.
– Economic conditions
– Corporate strategies
– Management theory
– Management techniques
– Business trends
– Competitive landscape and product information
EBSCO HOST- Business Source Elite
This business database provides full text for over 1,000 business publications. The rich collection of titles in Business Source Elite provides information dating back to 1985. More than 10,100 substantial company profiles from Data monitor are also included. This database is updated on a daily basis via EBSCO host.
ProQuest E-book Central
Encompassing pioneering companies -ebrary and EBL – Ebook Library, ProQuest’s ebook segment enables works from the world’s most authoritative publishers to be accessed electronically, online and offline, by libraries worldwide. With more than 24 years of combined experience partnering with libraries, publishers and researchers around the globe, ProQuest Ebooks offer the industry’s most robust content selection and innovative acquisition models.
More than 600,000 titles from 600+ publishers are available through the flexible ebrary and EBL platforms. Libraries can customize their ebook collections and access options to fit precisely with their users. Demand-driven acquisition models enable libraries to catalog and display thousands of titles, purchasing only if patrons download and use the works.
College of Law
West Law Gulf
Over 23,000 laws from across the UAE and 3,000 laws from Qatar
All searchable in English with links to the PDF of the original Arabic law
Translated core commercial laws from pivotal Gulf states; Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain
Accurate English translations of over 8,000 commercially relevant and widely used laws; case reports; The latest news from across the Gulf; and a chance to search wider and further with greater accuracy and speed;
The Library has subscribed to East Laws. it includes Arab Legislations Library which consists of around half a million legislation of 22 Arab countries ,the Rulings of the Arab Supreme Courts that includes Around 100,000 judicial rulings issued by the supreme courts of 13 Arab countries and also It includes more than 300,000 legal fundamentals and 280,000 pages of scanned copies of rulings and the Network has Specialized Databases -Crime Encyclopedia, Tax Encyclopedia and Status of Women in Arab Legislation Encyclopedia and many more law related information are available.
Ebrary- Law Collection
The library provides access to law related eBooks through Ebrary. Ebrary titles are accessible through the library webpage using user name and password. More than 3134 law titles are available.
College of Architecture Engineering & Design
Taylor & Francis online -Architecture e-journals
“Taylor & Francis Group” publishes quality peer-reviewed journals under the Routledge and Taylor & Francis imprints. Built Environment journals were subscribed by KU library.
Art, Design & Architecture Collection
A comprehensive survey of current publications in the fields of visual and applied arts; This collection includes the specialist indexes ART bibliographies Modern (covering modern and contemporary art), Design and Applied Arts Index (for all aspects of design and crafts) and the International Bibliography of Art (covering scholarship on Western art history), together with a complementary collection of current full-text journals, Arts and Humanities Full Text.